Gavin is 5 months old today! Wow, where does time go? He is growing and changing so fast. I wish I could pause his life right now, so he'd stay this size for a while. We've reached some milestones: He sleeps through the night pretty consistently now, although he has a few nights every now and then where he wakes up. But when that happens, all I have to do is put his pacifier back in his mouth and walk away. The nights of sleep have been sooooo needed, even though I'm still tired (just not as much). Jason and I have talked about starting him on oatmeal cereal. We don't give him rice cereal because when we tried it in the past, he screamed every time he was finished with it. So, we quickly said no to that. We gave him a little bit of oatmeal in his bottle last night. He kept it down pretty well. I think we're going to start off giving it to him at night for a little bit and then start adding it to his normal daytime bottles. We tried feeding some to him with a spoon first, but he hasn't quite figured out what to do with his tongue - he kept pushing it out. So, we'll have to practice more with it. We're working with him to get him to roll over. He spends a lot of his time on his back because he doesn't lay on his tummy very well. When we give him tummy time, it usually only lasts about 5 minutes - for 2 reasons...1) He throws up when he's on his tummy. It doesn't matter if he just ate 1 minute ago or 1 hour ago...he's going to throw up - And 2) He doesn't know how to relax his butt cheeks. He keeps them squinched (is that a word?) together. His legs go straight out and he looks like he's doing the "super baby". He bobbles around on his belly! It's actually quite hilarious to see him do it. But anyway, we're still working on that one. He's getting to where he can sit up more by himself for a few seconds. Then he just slumps over face forward into the carpet. Sometimes Jason and I will just sit there and look at him when he does it - partly for our amusemet because he looks so funny when he does it (aren't we mean?); and because we want to see if he'll try to push himself up with his hands. So, my little boy is growing up. I'm looking forward to more milestones.
Thursday, January 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I can't believe he's already 5 months old! Yes, you have to keep practicing with the cereal. Babies have to figure out what to do with their tongues. And I've read that learning how to eat from a spoon is also very important for speech development because of the tongue control that is involved.
Ditto to Natalie. I used to babysit for a little boy with down syndrome, and his occupational therapist told me the same thing about the tongue and spoon.
I know you just wish you could stop Gavin from growing for awhile! I feel the same about my sweet nephew. Gavin is a sweetie, and I know you're a great mommy.
Glad you are finally getting some sleep!!!!! I bet he is getting so so big! Perrin is huge! Perrin was eating so early, hahaha, I guess that is why he is huge! I tried green peas and rice yesterday and you should have seen his face, he hated it, but he is going to keep eating it unitl he likes it. I was reading the other day that they should be able to feed themselves a cracker by 7 months, I was like, "WHAT?!?!"....I gotta start working on that one! He will be sitting up and eating before you know it!
Hey Kristi! I just found your blog through Chrisitan's. Your baby is precious!!
I second Natalie's comment on practicing with the cereal. My daughter hated it the first few times, but we mixed it with water, which was really gross.
My son ate rice cereal and oatmeal both very well, but we mixed it with apple juice.
Just experiment!
Post a Comment