Ok - so this post isn't going to be really positive. I'm using my post as a venting place, for a moment. Thursday, Kelli and I noticed that Gavin wasn't acting himself. He was real clingy and didn't want to play much by himself. On Friday, he was ok. Then, he woke up yesterday morning with a congested cough. He's had a cough before, but it was small. So, I thought he'd be ok. I gave him some medicine the doctor gave me the last time he had a cold and then went off to the Upward basketball games at church. He was in a pretty good mood the whole time. The only time he got fussy was when he was tired. There was so much noise, and nowhere for him to take a nap. He was coughing some there, but no too much. When we got home yesterday afternoon, we had a difficult time. He wouldn't play, he wouldn't swing, I couldn't rock him, or bounce him in his bouncy seat...nothing. He screamed, and screamed, and screamed. He finally gave up and went to sleep. And ever since then, his cough has gotten worse and he has acted more and more sick. This morning he woke up, and when he started coughing, it was a more yucky congested cough. . He whined every time he coughed, so I knew his throat had to be hurting. And when he whined or made noises, it was like he's lost his voice. He had a 101 temperature last night and then again this morning, and that's with Tylenol in his system. So I thought it would probably be higher if he didn't have Tylenol. (We took it rectally b/c we were told that's how the doctor would do it b/c it was most acurate.) So Jason and I went to the Mary Black Urgent Care. (DON'T EVER GO THERE!) We got there as soon as it opened and there were already like 20 people ahead of us. We waited for 2 hours before they even got our insurance and information. Meanwhile, Gavin is screaming, well trying to scream, because he doesn't feel well. When the lady finally called us back, she looked at us with no expression and asked us what we were there for. I wanted to grab her face and make her look at Gavin and say, "What do you think?" It was clear why we were there! Could she not hear him coughing and trying to breathe? Duh! When she took his temperature, she took it in his ear and it said 98.7. Bull malarky! You can't tell me that his fever went back to normal that fast! She took us to a room to wait for the doctor and we explained to him everything that we explained to the dumb nurse. I wasn't worried about the runny eyes, runny nose, and some of the cough. We've done that before. I was worried about how much junk was in the cough and that he was losing his voice - more of a sore throat thing. I wanted to make sure he wasn't getting strep throat or something. Plus, Gavin has been tugging at his left ear for several days. The doctor barely looked at him - barely looked in his ear, barely looked at his throat. We were done in 5 minutes. He said it was a cold. We already know what to do with a cold! So then the nurse brings in a paper and says that it's something I can read about upper respiratory infections, but it was for adults and not children. First of all, an upper respiratory infection is not the same as a cold! So which is it? What does he actually have? Second, the paper was for adults, not babies! How in the world is that supposed to help me???? So basically, we wasted 3 hours of our time today! It was not helpful at all to go to that place! Ok, I'm done.
Sunday, February 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Aw, Kristi... I am so sorry. That is incredibly frustrating, and I'm not even the one there with the poor, little, sick baby!
What a pain! I'm sorry you guys had to go through all of that. I hope Gavin is feeling better.
We had a similar experience at Urgent Care. Chad wanted to take Emma there when she ran one of her high fevers and spaced out. I told Chad it would be a waste of time to go there because I knew all they would do is give her Tylenol or Motrin (but I had already given her both)...and that's exactly what happened. The doc looked at her ears and throat, talked to us for a couple of minutes, and sent us home with no definite answers.
Kristi, someone was telling me about an after hours pediatric clinic in spartanburg. I remember passing it but now my OLD brain won't let me remember where. I am sorry Gavin isn't feeling well but I hope he will be on the mend soon.
Kristi - for your future reference the clinic that Jackie is talking about is in Boiling Springs on Highway 9, and it is called the Afterhours Pediatric Clinic. Also, Dr. Key in Greer, I believe he is with Greer Ped. has Saturday and Sunday hours.
Hal and I had to deal with urgent care the other night and it was awful, so I definately understand your frustrations. Maybe next time you can try one of the other places I mentioned.
Hope Gavin is feeling better by now. I am so sorry. Horrible things are going around. I've had the flu, but by the grace of God alone, my baby and husband have escaped so far. Jake did have a really bad cold last week and the nasty sounding cough. It's horrible when your baby is sick and even more horrible when people act like NOTHING is wrong and you're worried sick. It is VERY frustrating!
Hope Gavin is feeling better.
Love, Nana
Post a Comment