Sunday, January 20, 2008

Life is Sacred

Today begins Sanctity of Human Life week. Abortion...how can I ever begin to describe my feelings on this topic without tears welling up in my eyes. And I really don't need to go into it because you already know what it is and how it's done. There are a couple of websites that I'd like to share with you that I found interesting: 1. Focus on the Family http://www.family.org/socialissues/A000001095.cfm 2. Pro-Life.Com http://www.prolife.com/ I went to a birthday party last night for Jason's nephew. While I was there, a lady brought in a newborn baby - like a "fresh out of the hospital" newborn...or so I thought. I wondered why in the world this mom would have her baby out in the cold damp air! I found out, as I eavesdropped, that this baby wasn't a newborn afterall. He's 9 weeks old, but only weighs 7 pounds! So, I'm thinking, "Oh, he must have been a premie, then." When I finally got up the nerve to talk to her, I found out some interesting things. To begin with, the baby wasn't hers. She is in the process of trying to adopt this tiny little boy from a family member. The mother (and father) of this baby were on methamphetamine throughout the pregnancy, and the baby was addicted to meth when he was born. This baby was not a premie! He was a full term baby, weighing in at only 5 pounds when he was born! The lady and the doctors just now weened the baby off drugs last week. She said that as he went through withdrawals he would shake all over and scream all day. I asked her what the long term effects would be. One side of the baby's head is smaller than the other side - the eyes, ears, skull, etc, but she said the growth would eventually even out. He also has some kind of muscular problem with his neck (I can't remember the exact name). She has to take the baby to therapy 3 times a week. And she also said that he would be a slow learner. I'm just having a hard time understanding how someone could continue to take drugs even though there was a baby growing inside her. I do understand that when someone is on drugs he/she doesn't think clearly and that the drugs have a complete hold on him or her. But could she have not tried to get help - at least during the pregnancy? My blood boils as I type this. So no, this has nothing to do about abortion, but it has everything to do with protecting a life and respecting what God created - the same meaning behind Sanctity of Life Week. I challenge you to say a prayer each day this week (and always) for all the mothers who are considering having an abortion - that God will place someone in their path to encourage them to make a different choice. And pray for God's protection on all those sweet little babies out there, that they'd be given a chance to live.

1 comments:

Medic Mom said...

That was great! Thank you for sharing! It brought tears to my eyes hearing about that little baby. Knowing that Reese will be here in a week, it breaks my heart to know that there are parents out there who just don't care. We are so blessed!