Thursday, July 3, 2008

Boyd's Mill Pond

Gavin and I decided to venture down to Boyd's Mill Pond - a small lake near Ware Shoals. Kelli's husband and his family have property there, so we usually drive over for a day or two this time of year and spend some time in the water. Gavin loves the outdoors, so I thought it would be really fun for him. We spent the night in their camper. Gavin usually sleeps in his crib - he's never slept in the same bed as me and Jason. So, with Gavin sleeping right beside, let's just say I slept all of about 2 hours last night. I kept waking up with every move he made. I was terrified of rolling over on top of him, or him suffocating with the pillows and blankets. Gavin slept really well all night long. He hasn't slept all the way through the night without waking up once for several weeks. (He's going through some kind of phase right now where he wakes up 2-3 times crying in the middle of the night. I don't know if he's having bad dreams or what.) We had quite a scare last night though. Kelli has a pop-up camper. The sides of the camper come down and hook underneath where the bed would be outside the camper. But they bought this camper from someone and the hooks that hold the sides all the way down were broken; but they were tucked under and seemed to be ok. But, if you're on the bed inside the camper, and lean too far over the side, you basically fall off the bed, and outside onto the ground. (I don't know if this is making any sense. It's hard to explain.) So, in the middle of the night (with me, Kelli, Gavin, and Karis in the same bed), Karis rolled over too far and slipped off the mattress and fell down the crack about 3-4 feet outside onto the ground. It probably would have looked like she'd been sucked out or something. We heard her start screaming, and both Kelli and I jumped up and ran outside to find her. It was a horrifying feeling - and I had the most terrible feeling leap up into my stomach when I saw her laying there on the ground. But we got her up and she seemed fine. We tried to feel her body all over - we were in the dark - but she wouldn't let us touch her elbow. This morning, we discovered a slash under her chin and across her cheek - I'm guessing from something metal on the side of the camper. And then her elbow was scraped up from landing on the ground. I meant to take pictures of her war wounds, but I didn't want to draw attention to her injuries considering that she is a drama queen at heart and would probably start acting like she was dying. But other than that scare, Gavin seemed to really enjoy himself, and loved being outside. Here are just a few pictures I took while we were there:

He preferred drinking the water, instead of playing in it. At least he knows how to use a cup, right?
Bottoms up! He was skinny dippin' in the lake!
Time for a bath!

1 comments:

natalie said...

I'm glad y'all were able to come to the lake. Gavin is such a cutie!