My good friend Meredith from school has a little girl, OK, only a month and a half younger than Gavin. I secretly compare their growth and milestones all the time. And even though Gavin is technically older than she is, she is like the "super baby" and has excelled in everything before Gavin. For example - she was sleeping through the night when she only a month old, when it took Gavin 3 months before he ever did. OK also ate cereal and baby food before Gavin did. And she behaves well in public and eats quietly in her highchair while Gavin is always loud and causing a scene, like when he almost pulled the fire extinguisher off the wall at Panera. My child is wild while OK is calm and sweet. Well, Jason and I went to Meredith's house for a football game a couple of weeks ago and she went to put OK down for the night. She said she did the "cry it out" thing and now OK goes to sleep by herself. I've heard so many other people talking about it, but again, OK has accomplished something else before Gavin. It amazed me. Jason and I have talked to several other of our friends and they can't believe that we don't do that with Gavin. We always rock him to sleep or Jason bounces him on his knee to go to sleep. (That's our personal snuggle time with him.) So, we decided to give it try. We've been consistent for 2 weeks. We have laid him down with his binky (teddy bear) and given him his pacifier, and said, "time to go night-night", and walked out of the room. What we're wondering is why they call it "crying it out"? (sarcastic question) So, even though OK and all these other people's children are "super babies", Jason and I have bragging rights - not once has Gavin cried when we've put him down for the night. Every time, he has laid down, talked to himself for a few minutes, and has fallen asleep with no problems. Now that's a super baby! Maybe there's still hope for my child. :)
Monday, September 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
OH you are so lucky.
Sasha still needs snuggles most of the time to go to sleep. He's getting more independent, but its slow. We got him one of those little foam toddler couch/beds. He'll sometimes put himself down on that.
But in his crib? Oh, forget it. We tried CIO. We tried it for 2 weeks. Every night he'd scream and scream and scream...
It won't be long til you will look at him and say "oh how I wish I could rock him to sleep".
Enjoy the moment.
Just so you'll know, I've always KNOWN he is a super baby.
Love,
Mom (and Gavin's Nana)
good job!!!!! keep it up
Lauren
Post a Comment