Wednesday, November 12, 2008

New Decoration

This is the newest member of my Christmas decorations:

This year, I'm going to do an Advent calendar. I got the idea from this really creative mom when she posted this last Christmas. (I hope you don't mind that I'm being a copycat.) I was sharing the idea with my sister, and we're going to do it together with Gavin and the kids. I thought it was such a cool thing to do to keep the right perspective during the holidays. I was going to buy a plain white box that had drawers that I could decorate myself - one that could be a craft project for me, but I decided that I don't have time to fool around with it right now. I'd never have it finished by December, so I bought one already made and waiting for me on the shelf from Target for $30.
The idea to this Advent Calendar is to do a special activity each day to count down till Christmas instead of using candy. I've been brainstorming activities for the past month. I've "stolen" a few ideas from Jaime, and I've found some others online at different Advent idea sites, and there are a few that I've come up with on my own. However, I don't have 25 yet. I still need 2 more.
Here is what I have so far - in no particular order. Can you think of 2 more?
  1. Watch a family Christmas movie together.
  2. Make a homemade gift for a teacher.
  3. Make a list of 10 things you are thankful for.
  4. Make 2 cups of hot chocolate – one for yourself and one for someone else.
  5. Cook red and green pancakes for supper while wearing your pajamas.
  6. Bake cookies or a treat for a neighbor.
  7. Drive around to look at Christmas lights.
  8. Make Christmas granola to share with family and friends.
  9. Make a homemade gift tag for someone’s Christmas present.
  10. Read about the tradition of the candy cane.
  11. Make a homemade Christmas card for a friend.
  12. Enjoy a quiet family dinner with Christmas music.
  13. Sing Christmas carols together with only the tree lights on.
  14. Visit an older couple from the church or neighborhood.
  15. Help a needy family or donate to a charity.
  16. Cook dinner for your grandparents.
  17. Read the Christmas story and act it out.
  18. Give someone a thoughtful compliment.
  19. Go on a family outing together – ex: live nativity
  20. Turn the TV off and play a game together as a family.
  21. Make a Christmas craft to display.
  22. Bake cupcakes and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus.
  23. At dinner, share your favorite Christmas memories.
  24. ??
  25. ??
What else can we do to fill those empty spots?

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I saw those advent calendars just tonight at Target. I loved them all. I bought one last year off the internet and it was BIG, It will have to be hung on the wall because I don't have a place big enough to set it. I wish I had seen the ones at target first. I really like the one with the nativity scene.

A Girl Of God said...

For the "24" you can read the night before christmas!!!!!!

Lauren