Sunday, January 10, 2010

THAT parent

I have now become THAT parent that I said I would never be. Before having Gavin, there were so many things I said I would NEVER do as a parent. I actually said several times, "If that were my child, I would..." or even "My child will never act that way." (Giggle)...oh my...how those words have come to bite me in the rear-end. It's as if God is laughing at me saying, "Kristi, remember when you said...? Well, let me just show you." Here are 2 of the most recent things:

I said I would never buy one of these leash harness things for my child to wear.
"Children are not animals, and I would NEVER do that! My child would either ride in the buggy or stroller, or I would carry him," I would say. ... Well, now that my strong willed child will not ride peacefully in a buggy or stroller anymore, I thought maybe he could walk on his on like a big boy beside my buggy while I shop. Well, that hasn't worked out so great - when I let him walk on his on, he decides to run way ahead or stick out his arm as he walks by a display and knocks everything off the shelf; OR decides to run and hide under the display tables at Belk and makes it nearly impossible for Jason to reach him (during Christmas). That is the moment when I became THAT parent. I have resorted to a leash harness thing for my child. And I will admit, Gavin likes his "backpack", as he calls it.
Another example. My before-Gavin complaint: "Why bring children into the church service when there is a nursery?? Why distract others in the pew or sanctuary with a child who cannot sit still?? I would NEVER bring my young child into the sanctuary because it causes way too many distraction when others are trying to focus on the message. My child will always go to the nursery or children's church." Well, again, that has come to bite me in the rear. Gavin refuses to stay in children's church. He literally screams bloody murder. So, the only way we get to go to service is if he goes into the sanctuary with us. I pack a full bag of crayons, coloring sheets, juice, snacks, and other quiet things. Instead of doing those things, he wants to climb under the pew and play hide-and-seek. He lasts all of about 15-20 minutes before he makes so much noise that the people around us are turning around looking at us. After several kind smiles in our direction (with probably not so kind thoughts), I usually motion for Jason to take Gavin out. This is our regular routine now for church. I am now THAT parent who brings her noisy child into church service just so I can get a little bit of Jesus on Sunday mornings.
It's funny how things change when you have a child, especially when you have a special, one of a kind, prove me wrong, gift from God. :)

4 comments:

Jackie said...

No, Not that sweet face!
As easy as it was raising Steph and Meredith, Perrin is proving that all children are not like that. But I am loving every moment with that little fellow.

The Dales said...

We haven't had any public tantrums and he is usually pretty good in public but I know our day is coming. I'm pretty good about putting the fear of God in him so he will quit whatever he is doing...bless his heart.

Sweet Gavin, who woulda thought he is giving his mommy the ride of her life! Wouldn't trade it for the world though!

Kelly said...

"Not MY child!" Girl, I am right there with you. Should I mention our church Christmas musical this past year?!? Yes, it was MY son who took his shoes off twice for the director to put back on while he was "singing'. Oh yeah, I was the director.
We're trying to plan a Disney trip and Andy has already told the kids that they are going to have to wear leashes. UGH! I hate those things too (and have said some not to nice things about the parents that use them), but can I seriously let my child walk lose in that huge of a crowd???
This parenting stuff is rough! :-)

Anonymous said...

Disney World tip-Everyone in the family should wear the same color shirt each day. Monday everyone wear red, Tuesday everyone wear yellow, etc. It helps the kids keep up with you!!LOL Also, children usually enjoy the Disney World experience most if they are at least 5 years old when they go.